Special Details for Children with AsthmaThe Flu shot itself is not harmful for your child; however, DO NOT give your child the nasal spray vaccine as this can trigger a severe asthma attack that may be fatal. The following details are important to take into consideration for your children when the flu season comes around.
- See your doctor at the start of flu season to get the solution quickly, waiting can make it worse if your child does get the flu without getting vaccinated.
- Just because your child gets vaccinated once don’t assume they will be safe next year, as the flu viruses change yearly as different strains develop.
How Do I Know If I Have the Flu?There will be several symptoms that you may have that include:
- A high fever that is above 100 degrees
- Extreme tiredness
- Chills and body stiffness
- Sore throat
- Stuffy nose from a cold
- Constant coughing
- Diarrhea and or vomiting
Emergency Signs for Children with AsthmaIf you see these signs with your children its best to seek immediate help from your doctor or hospital. These symptoms include:
- Rapid breathing or difficulty breathing
- Pain in the chest
- Persistent vomiting
- Fever with a rash
- Skin turning blue